SIM’s ministry began in Liberia in 1954 with the establishment of Radio ELWA (Eternal Love Winning Africa). Eventually, Christian programs in 45 languages were broadcast throughout Liberia and its neighboring countries. ELWA Hospital opened in 1965, and in 1976 missionaries began planting churches in outlying areas. After the third evacuation of all SIM missionaries and vandalization of the properties in 1966 in the civil conflict, SIM missionaries did not expect to be able to return.
Local Christians who had been trained by SIM resumed the work at ELWA hospital and radio. Over time, SIM missionaries have returned to Liberia and the ministry at ELWA is starting to redevelop after the devastation of the civil conflict. In 1997 the SIM-related churches were organized as the Evangelical Church Union of Liberia (ECUL). Recently the church has renamed itself as the Evangelical Church of Liberia (ECOL). In partnership with Samaritan’s Purse, SIM Liberia is in the process of building a new ELWA Hospital.